Wendy noticed a bird nest on a power line one day at the job site. Knowing how dangerous power lines can be, Wendy decided to build the bird a new nest in a safer location. Build a bird nest for your little builder's backyard just like Wendy!
Prep Time: 10-20 minutes
Build Time: 10 minutes
Must be 3+
Supervision of children using materials such as glue, scissors, etc. is strongly recommended.
- Natural materials (found in step two)
- Coffee filter
- Small bowl
1. Explore the natural world around you. Take a nature hike in the backyard or neighborhood park, search for birds' nests in the trees and on the ground. Remember, when you and your little builders are exploring do not touch or pick up any bird nests you see.
2. Collect materials that you and your little builders will use to create a nest including small twigs. leaves, grass, moss, etc. Think about choosing materials for making a strong, stable foundation plus something soft to create the bedding inside.
3. Use the small bowl as a base to create the nest. Begin by placing the coffee filter inside the bowl.
The coffee filter will be the outer layer of your nest.
4. Place your collected materials inside the coffee filter. Ensure that they are tightly packed together in order to maintain the bowl shape.
Use mud to adhere the materials together.
5. Carefully remove the coffee filter from the bowl and place your little builder's bird nest outside in a safe place and watch for a bird to make it his/her home!