Bob's Hard Hat
Bob the Builder™ wears a yellow hard hat to protect his head on the job site. Construct a hard hat to wear while you and your little builders build!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Build Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 2-3 hours (drying time)
Must be 3+
The activity is designed for parents and children to do together. Supervision of children using materials such as glue, scissors, etc. is strongly recommended.
- 1" Strips of newspaper
- Liquid glue
- Paint brushes with yellow paint (for Bob's hat) and black paint (optional blue paint for Wendy's hat)
1. Blow up the balloon to the approximate size of the child's head.
2. Brush the glue over the top half of the balloon. Cover glue with newspaper strips until you cannot see the balloon beneath. Allow to dry and repeat until you have at least 5 layers.
3. Pop the balloon once the paper mache is dry.
4. Use the rim of the paper mache dome as a guide to trace the shape of a hat bill on the cardboard. Cut out the shape.
5. Use glue to secure the bill to the open bottom of the paper mache dome.
6. Once dry, paint the entire hat yellow for Bob the Builder or blue for Wendy.
Paint a black B on the front to be just like Bob the Builder and Wendy!